Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Additional Assignment #3

What do you think is the most important thing Sir Ken Robinson says in this presentation?

One of the most important things to get from this video is the following: Brad Pitt may be rich, but that doesn’t make him smart. John Doe may be in the streets, but that doesn’t make him “dumb” or incapable of learning. I like that he mentioned that there are many brilliant people that just don’t consider themselves smart. Anyone can be successful.

Is there anything you disagree with in this presentation?

I don’t think I’d say that one of the two reasons for reforming education is for cultures identity. Yes, there are many different cultures in just the Unites States. Yes, the number of people who speak only Spanish is growing. However, I still don’t think this could be a top 10 reason.
Also he mentions that long ago people assumed that certain kids did not benefit from education; they’d never learn. I don’t think that’s completely changed.

How congruent are Sir Ken Robinson's positions with those which you are being taught in the College of Education. In other words, where is there agreement? Where is there disagreement?

Different classes have different arguments, even with each other. In Dr. Fregeau’s course you learn that there is so much diversity even within a classroom that there’s a course for it! This course is the most difficult one I have because of the intensity of studying this subject. Obviously Sir Ken Robinson agrees. The discussion of ADD & ADHD is very true in the college of education. We are constantly talking about modifications for students and IEPs and other “rules” we have to go by for every student. Does ADD is exist? Are we quickly diagnosing kids with this disorder just because they’re struggling? This topic is up for debate in the Ed. building.

What can you do to address the issues Sir Robinson raises?

I would really like to do more research and look into the ADD & ADHD issue. I’m not sure how to go about that, but I am definitely interested. I really like the topic of classifying kids by age and the lack of freedom they have. When they hear a bell, they go.

When they hear the next bell, they come. The next is for lunch. They can only wear blue pols, khakis. “Is that a logo on your shoe? You’re suspended.” Isn’t it stupid to take a child out of school because their shirt tail came out? Aren’t we sending the wrong message? When I really think about it, it seems so military. And yes, is age really the most important thing? I would want to encourage my students to be themselves, their “civil” selves that is. I hope they’d fight for their own rights as people. I did when I was a student and I won’t hold another back.

What do you think of the presentation? If you had to do a presentation with others like this, what role on your team would you like most to play?

Author: This is very well-written. It completely grabs you from the beginning with the choice of words. This is the person I’d like to be. I don’t have “the voice” and I am no way artistic. I am creative in my head but I can’t lay it out. I think I have good points to make about education and I’m always thinking, always thinking. I’m thinking of all my opinions about education and turning them into arguments with some authority I’ve made up in my head.

Narrator: I enjoyed the narrator’s voice. Not only the accent, but he wasn’t monotone. He had my attention for all 11 minutes.

Designer: Whoever designed or came up with this idea is brilliant! (Maybe he doesn’t think he/she’s smart.) It’s very catchy and once again, eye-catching.

Artist: The artist was great! I like following the marker across to figure out what was coming next and where. The idea of only using a couple of colors was also a positive feature.

Sound Effects: They were so real! At first I had to turn down my volume because it was like nails on a chalkboard. But I liked the realness to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment