Monday, October 11, 2010

Additional Assignment #2

1. What do you think? If learners are motivated, can they teach themselves?

I think if someone is motivated to do something, they are in good shape to do it! However, maybe not all people are teachers. Yes, you are the one that knows how your brain works. But, you may not know how really get the information into your brain either!

2. If those motivated learners are kids, can they teach themselves?

Regardless of an age, anyone can do anything! They say that the best teacher for a third grader is a fourth grader. I can’t agree more. So my answer to this question is: absolutely!!

3. What conditions are necessary for kids to teach themselves? For anyone to teach him or herself?

I think that all a child needs is the will to learn. It’s very difficult to sit yourself down and tell yourself that you have to sit there until you get it. If someone is determined enough, I truly believe it’s possible.

4. What role do computers and internet access play in the process?

The internet can help someone so much! When I have to teach myself, even to this day, I usually end up referring back to the internet for backup and/or assistance. Even my twelve-year-old brother yesterday was looking up definitions of parts of speech. I can’t imagine education without the web and I’m thankful for it every day!

5. What role does motivation, a desire to learn?

I don’t understand the question, but I will answer it to the best of my ability! I motivation plays a large role in learning. Without it, I can’ imagine how many kids would still be in school. Most people’s motivation comes from their college of choice or their career of choice. Kids that come from wealthy families see the positive that comes from having money and then they are motivated to do well because they want the same benefits. It also works if someone comes from a low-income family. That person may think that is not what they want from themselves so they’ll be motivated to do more.

6. What roles do a problem, a question or multiple problems or questions play in the process?

Coming along questions and problems can damper the process! If I’ve done all of this research on one topic for a paper and still can’t find some of the assigned criteria, I would get down. In fact, I do get down! It’s hard, at least for me, to get motivated for the same thing again. Even now I think, “this is stupid.” And other times I’ll think, “one day at a time…” It all depends on the outlook. Mine is usually a poor outlook! However, about twice a week and I will try to get back into the positive side of my brain and truly realize what I will get out of my education.

7. How do you motivate someone to learn?

When I’m working with my little brother, I will try to encourage him. I explain that learning how to add fractions may not be used in your career, but it will be used in the next seven years of his education. I try to help him understand that even though he may not use it forever, he will have to know it and use it in order to graduate. In order to be successful and live the college life, he’ll have to graduate. It’s one big cause and effect cycle!

8. How are you motivated to learn?

There aren’t a lot of things outside of my own head that can motivate me to learn. There’s nothing so extravagant that is helping me now. I have always wanted to do well in school. That being said, I am also realistic. Let’s say it’s 11:00pm and I’m studying for a midterm that is at 8am the following morning. I’m probably exhausted yet I still have other study material for another class to look at and still have six questions I can’t find on the original study material. Knowing that I’ve done well in this class so far and from the previous tests in the course I will assume that the exam will be multiple choice. I will probably settle with what I already know and not worry about the six I can’t find. I’ve always been an A-B student and I’ve worked hard. However, I am not going to get only three hours of sleep to make a 100% when I can sleep seven hours and make a 92%. I’ve been my own motivator. Nothing outside of me has ever pressured me or motivated me to learn. It’s just my own goal.

9. Can anyone who is not motivated to learn, learn?

Even if you are determined to not be knowledgeable, you will learn something new frequently. For example, let’s say there’s a high school dropout. She’s 17-years-old and she’s driving around town today. She gets pulled over and the officer informs her that she’s receiving ticket for her music being too loud. She may have never known that loud music could get her a ticket. Even though this is a small example that doesn’t have much to do with school knowledge, still she learned something. People learn through experience. As long as you get out of bed everything, you will learn.

10. Do you teach yourself? When? Why?

Sometimes I’ll have to go home and review things to completely understand what we went over in class that day. Usually I will do this when I’m at home; I will do this before going to bed at night. I do this because if I don’t help myself out at all, I will struggle. Sometimes teachers don’t explain things thoroughly or you asked them a question in class and they didn’t answer the right question. If I don’t teach myself, I will probably not succeed in the things I want to succeed in. I will have to teach myself in those ways. In others, I may teach myself without intentionally doing so. For example, interacting with others throughout the day teaches my valuable lessons. This also is not necessarily school knowledge, yet people and problem-solving skills will help me throughout my life.

11. What role does a teacher (either answer generally or use a specific example) play in your learning?

(Dr. Strange… this is not referring to you!) Some teachers motivate me and they don’t even realize it! I have two in particular teachers this year that are terrible instructors. We don’t do anything at all in the actual class time given, yet we are expected to know how to do all of the assignments when we learn nothing in class. One of the two to who I am referring is really instructing a history class. Surely this is not part of the Elementary Education curriculum. I can’t relate any of her assignments to education. Everything in that class is a pain. The other teacher to whom I am referring is funny, but that’s it. She’s so scatter brained and everyone is left hanging, confused and frustrated! Because I don’t these teachers are good in any means, they’re motivating me to be better. I can’t stand teachers that “just don’t get it.” It’s frustrating as a student, regardless of the age. I want to be the teacher that the students and parents are not talking badly about at the dinner table!

12. What is the most important idea, question or emotional response you take away with you as a result of watching this video?

Teachers are needed everywhere! I do think it’s good that teachers have an incentive to teach in a inner-city school to get good teachers in there and not just richer places. Even though it may be more challenging to teach in one place than another, all students deserve the best!!

13. What other questions or issues are raised by this video that should be considered and discussed by aspiring teachers?

The same I just talked about in #12 I think is so important. Teachers need to realize that every child has an opportunity. Most of those chances come from their knowledge. If those kids aren’t receiving the bet education, they may not get to do everything they were capable of doing. What if Billy, current age five, from African has the ability to cure cancer? Yet, because of the small chances we will be given in the future, we don’t allow Billy to do so?

No comments:

Post a Comment